
Well, you may have heard me say before that I like to keep life simple and that one of my life's goals was to make pickles. Well, in the last two weeks I have accomplished this small goal (time to think of a new one?). I am too cheap to buy cucumbers to pickle, so the first part of the task was to grow them. My small garden is 3/4 cucumbers and every 3-4 days when I go out there I come in with 2-3 bowls of cucumbers. Now that I am done making pickles you might see me with a cucumber offering in my hands for you!
I made two batches of Dill in the larger quart jars and one batch of pint jars with sweet bread and butter pickles. My mom always had this kind of sweet pickle around and is fun to taste an old familiar taste. Come over and try some!
Here are a few things I learned:
Pickles are best made with cucumbers that have been picked in the last 8-12 hours.
Hot pack canning means you keep everything hot and if you don't keep your jars with their contents hot enough the jars will crack and drop their bottoms off when you put them in the canner. (Fortunately this only happened to two of my small jars and now I have learned that lesson.)
I like canning.
I like opening the pantry door and seeing my jars of pickles.
This post is a good example of why I named my blog as I did cause its fun to find joy in the little things.
I made two batches of Dill in the larger quart jars and one batch of pint jars with sweet bread and butter pickles. My mom always had this kind of sweet pickle around and is fun to taste an old familiar taste. Come over and try some!
Here are a few things I learned:
Pickles are best made with cucumbers that have been picked in the last 8-12 hours.
Hot pack canning means you keep everything hot and if you don't keep your jars with their contents hot enough the jars will crack and drop their bottoms off when you put them in the canner. (Fortunately this only happened to two of my small jars and now I have learned that lesson.)
I like canning.
I like opening the pantry door and seeing my jars of pickles.
This post is a good example of why I named my blog as I did cause its fun to find joy in the little things.
1 comment:
Not sure I will ever enjoy canning, sounds like a lot of work, but I will take a pickle offering anytime!!! :)
Post a Comment